Monday, March 1, 2010

The (Diminishing) Art of Writing

I attended a seminar yesterday - work related. As some of the materials provided did not cover the whole presentation, I resorted to jotting down some of the (me think) important notes. Mind you, I need to write fast - to make sure I did not miss anything.

So what's the problem, you ask ? Well, before I put the notes away in the (free) environmentally-conscious bag, I noticed something. The scribbles! Urrrggghhh....is that really my handwriting ? What happened to my handwriting ? 

I used to have quite a nice handwriting - I even got a friend who confessed that he liked my handwriting so much so, that he copied it and now, his students love it too! 

Some said that a lot can be read from ones handwriting. Mine was small, very straight, evenly spaced and I can even write on a blank paper as if there were lines on it!  Probably it reflects my need for my own space and how mingling with people who I do not know is top of my list of uncomfortable things. Plus how I used to have a slight 'monk' (more of that next time) in me.

But now...I'm happy if I can read my notes  (handwriting) ....hik..hik...Guess this is the results of modern technology (yeah, blame THAT!). Ever since started working, I was given desktop and later laptop - to do everything - from designs to filing (thanks to the paperless initiative). The keyboard replaces the ordinary pen and pencil and you found yourself typing faster and faster and now you even have digital signatures to acknowledge those documents!

Do you miss the simple (art of) letter writing ? I sure do...remembered when I was the in secondary school. At that time having 'pen pal' was the in-thing. Nowadays my kids' school has the 'PC-pal' program. Anyway, I used to have 2 pen pals - and we wrote to each other diligently. I remembered saving my weekly allowance (RM 2 per week!) to buy the RM1.20 aerogram. I simply love writing - and in a way it helped to polish my English. 

And what about you ladies ? I am sure you have had your shares of love letters (not the CNY cookie!). I used to get lots of those...yup, yours truly had a fair share of the love letters. Hmmm....those were the times.....

 

1 comment: