Sunday, August 22, 2010

Good and Bad News

Our daily life is a struggle and filled with good news and bad news - yours truly included.

First the bad news. My baby is now gone. My first Nokia. Hubby bought it for me - knowing how much I love taking pictures - he chose the latest model with 5MP camera.  I love the phone! The pictures are crystal clear and the video is also awesome - note: I am comparing this with my previous 3.2 Cybershot Sony-Erickson phone! I seldom use my phone other than  for calling home and hubby and texting families. So it was a great fit for me - as I got to snap and snap away - good quality pictures. 

But  unfortunately my affair with the phone did not last. After about 2 month, an accident happened. Since it is obvious that the phone is not  designed for IP67X (for those designing radios, this should be familiar, right?) - it could not be resuscitated. It has been almost 2 weeks - and still the repair shop could not power it up....hhhmmm......

Let's move on to the good news. About 2 weeks ago - after months of delay - I was finally at the Wellness Center for my bi-anneal exec medical check-up. There was a form in which we had to answer questions related to our lifestyle. Questions like whether you smoke, consume alcohol, exercise, take leafy greens, take oats, take grains, etc. I handed them the form and waited for my turn. First was the blood test, followed by the flexibility test - where you have to flex yourself on a bench! If only I am a contortionist....

Then it was measurement of fat and what not - using a machine - which calculates (magically?) your weight, body fat, lean fat, etc.

I was getting nervous for the most dreaded part - the treadmill. The treadmill came after ultrasound of the gall bladder, heart, kidney and liver. By that time it was already after 10am, and I was getting hungry (needed to fast for some of the tests). I was ushered into the treadmill room - and the nurse asked (probably she was trying to make a conversation) whether I was nervous. Off course I am nervous! This is the most physical part of the test !!!

She tried to cheer me up - by saying that it's no big deal. When told that my aim was 10mins, she then casually said ' orang yang umur 60 thn pun boleh sampai 10mins'.  I (quickly) retorted 'owh, itu org tua yg selalu exercise, kakak tak pernah exercise'....hi..hi..hi....

Anyway, the moment of truth finally arrived- as I climb onto the treadmill and serenaded by the calming visuals. Stage 1....stage 2...stage 3....the treadmill  was getting faster, and the slope was getting bigger.....I was trying to take my mind off my cramping feet. Mind over matter...mind over matter....look at that scenery....amazing.....
Finally stage 5....I could not hold any longer...exhausted...stop...stop...The result? 10mins! 

Yeay !!!! Mission accomplished!


A week after that - a day before Ramdhan - I was again at the Wellness Center - but this time around is to pick up my result. I went to see the Dr, who went through my results. Your weight is perfect, your fat is perfect, your cholesterol is perfect, your heart is perfect, your kidney is perfect, your gallbladder is perfect......probably the Dr's favorite word is perfect!


Anyway, I was surprised to see that although I have gained at least 4kg compared to 2 years ago - my total cholesterol has actually reduced from 4.2 to 3.2. My LDL - the bad cholesterol - is also small. And to top it up - my health age is 6 years younger than my actual age !!!!! Yeay !!!!!

The Dr has noted that I need to slow down, as stress has taken its toll on my body. My body is showing signs of stress (read: thyroid). So I am taking Surbex Zinc for the stress and fish oil which hopefully can do something to increase my immune system.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment