Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Selamat Hari Guru!

I missed publishing this rambling on Teachers' Day - but  hey, better late than never, right?


Teaching is one of the most noble profession - not to mention glamorous! Glamorous you say ? Well - other than Doctors - teachers are the only ones to be called 'cikgu' - from the first day they teach until the day they die! Our village head was Cikgu Joned - though he retired from service like 20 years ago!

You might be a big shot - a CEO of a GLC or a software genius - but people will not address you as Ali GM or Leong CEO! Well, people do address you as YB, but it is as long as you are one!

Teachers - we surely can't leave without them. They are trusted to educate the future leaders of the country. These days  with most family having both parents working, the heavy responsibilities of educating our young ones are (most of the times) solely on the shoulders of these teachers.  Very few are privileged to be home schooled. Which reminds me the blunders Gaby (of Desperate Housewives) had when trying to home schooled her daughter, Juanita. And don't get me started on the Malay genius -  Sufiah Yusuf!


                                        Gaby and her cute daughters

I have had some near misses experience with teachers. Mostly when I was in primary school. Not coming from a middle or upper class family meant that I don't look as polish as I like to be. And there were some teachers who were definitely leaning towards the well to do!

But for most of my growing up years, I've had inspirations from my teachers. I love my English teacher - who was so creative that we actually enjoyed learning. And my favorite is Ms Ng - the one who inspired me to take up Chemistry. Her enthusiasm, swayed me towards the subject. I had no qualms in majoring Chemistry for my degree. 


Teachers - they can surely inspire us in a lot of ways. I had a (harmless) crush on my chemistry lecturer in ITM. He was actually a no-nonsense kind of lecturer - but oh, looked sooo..adorable! After every tests, he would announce the student with the highest mark. So I made it my mission to get the highest mark - every time - just to hear him call my name and collect my paper from him - in front of the class! That's what I call a genius! Ha..ha..ha....

When I was in USM, I had an English lecturer, for some unknown reason taken an interest in me. Before you got any wrong idea, the lecturer is a female. She would ask me to join her for lunch and tell me stories - including of her life. I guess, being a young lecturer (and a new one to boot) - she did not have many friends and decided that I fit the bill - I am so honored!

Teachers - words cannot describe the appreciation that we bestow upon them...I love you all, Cikgu.....







No comments:

Post a Comment