Sunday, May 9, 2010

Happy Mother's Day !

These days, celebrations are too commercialized - be it the highly anticipated Hari Raya, Christmas or CNY - or the special occasions such as Mother's Day. You can see the so-called specials - advertised everywhere - from diamonds to dinners. 


Well, I am not writing about that.....it's just that today happens to be 'Mother's Day' and I do want to take this opportunity to update my blog! Do we need a special day to celebrate mothers? No, we don't - but since we are living in fast lane - it is good it we are reminded to celebrate our mothers - who love us unconditionally. Show me a mom who takes a look at her newborn and does not think that he/she is the best looking baby, ever! That's how 'bias' moms are towards their loved ones. 

Different people have different parenting - or mothering - styles. I was not as close to my mom as I was to my dad. But that does not mean that I do not love her wholeheartedly. Dad was a driver with the Public Works Dept whereas mum was a housewife. Dad worked hard to make end meets for his family and  mum worked hard managing it. My childhood is filled with lots of happy memories and the financial constraints does not deter us from having fun - in our own way. 

Dinner was a big thing for us - a time for the whole family to sit down, enjoy our simple dinner and shared stories with everyone. It's the tradition I held close to heart - trying as hard as possible to make sure my family enjoys our dinner together.

I remembered my dad's stories about the times of the Japanese invasion. They actually landed in the serene island where my dad were born - and where one of the top Generals ended up marrying one of the local girls. There were stories on how the kampung folk would dig up holes as shelters from the raining bombs!  How they survived on the staple food - ubi kayu. How my granddad- who was a Thai Kelantanese - used to bring my dad to the durian orchid (in Narathiwat) - on elephants! I always enjoyed these stories - and looked forward to it - no matter how many times I heard them!

Being a mum myself, I do hope that they will enjoy their childhood as much as I enjoyed mine. Thanks for a very loving and understanding hubby - we might  just make this happens - God willing, Insyallah.....



I don't expect much from my children - only for them to be healthy, do well in their studies and turns out okay in life. I believe firmly in Qada' and Qadar - that said I also believe in Karma. If you do good deeds, you will reap its benefit - and it goes both way - if you do evil, evil will come back and bite on on the a**! 


To all super moms out there - please bear in mind in mind that the hands that rocks the cradle - ROCKS! Have a blast in this special occasion to cherish us!



No comments:

Post a Comment