Thursday, April 29, 2010

GleeK

I am officially a Gleek! Yup, I have to admit that I was hooked from day one - the first time I laid my eyes on this American musical-comedy-drama television series.


The story revolves around a group of very talented groups of students from the fictional William McKinley High School - who are part of the Glee Club - New Direction. This is not your typical choir but instead is a performing/show choir. So there are a lot of dancing and moving around. And like a typical American series, we can expect a lot of 'dysfunctional' characters (and families). By dysfunctional, I am referring to their western culture which is (most likely) not appreciated by our Asian values. Values like sexual orientation and sexual practices.


The thing I like most is that the series uses a lot of old favorites of mine - and instead of tinkering with it - they are just singing it again. Somehow in Malaysia - if you are giving a new breath to an old song, it usually ends up with the original song being butchered beyond recognition! And most of the times it falls flat! 


My favorite is the mash-up of 'It's My Life/Confession'. Who would ever thought that these 2 songs can be mashed to perfection. And it jives with the episode which saw the school nurse (which happens to be Mr Shue - the Glee teacher cum mentor) prescribing to OTC meds which makes them hyperactive! 




Then there is the song 'Sweet Caroline' which is a favorite of my daughter. And I simply adore their rendition of 'Endless Love'. Even hubby loves the 'Leaving on Jet Plane'.


Can't wait for the second season to reach our shore....



No comments:

Post a Comment