Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Fever

The fever is on - actually it started almost 2 weeks ago. And as usual, I procrastinated and kept intending to write - but I guess is not disciplined enough.


Anyway, unlike yer typical fever - this one keeps getting hotter towards the end. Yup, I am referring to the current World Cup Fever. I am not going to ramble on the performances of the team - the shocking defeat of elites such as Spain, England and Germany. The dismal performance of France - which caused them an early exit. A mutiny of the French players - yup, there is such a thing!

I am going to reminisce on the good old time. When I was growing up - I was very close to my dad. There were me and my 4 sisters. By that time my 2 older sisters and a brother were already out of the nest. With no male in the house - somehow I felt that it is up to me to act like the son of the house. Hence, I was the one holding the chicken to be slaughtered and off course the one to accompany my dad watching football.


I remembered waking in the wee hours of the morning - to watch live telecast of World Cup. That was when my interest in the game started. I remembered rooting for Brazil, Germany and Italy - my 3 favorite teams! Past heroes - I still remembered their names - Karl-Heinz Rumanigge, Roberto Baggio, Lothar Mattheus, Paolo Rossi. 




Yeah, Diego was a star back then - but somehow he did not catch my fancy....ha..ha...Probably the 'hand of god' had some impact on me!




England...I am not quite a fan. Somehow their game - at least to me - who is not an expert - lacks the much needed adrenaline. I always find England's game to be too tame to my liking. Don't get me wrong....I used to love Gary Lineker and I rooted for Spurs when I was in lower secondary.




Once in college and now working - my rendezvous with football becomes fewer. What with my new adrenaline-laden interest in F1 - football gets a backseat. Now I watch it when there is a final of EUFA or Champions League and off course World Cup. I keep updated on the different teams and the going ons - just to make sure I can be in conversation with dear hubby....


World Cup...it never fails to bring back fond memories.....




1 comment:

  1. england? elite? puhleeseeeeeeeeee......hahahahaa

    ReplyDelete