Wednesday, June 30, 2010

First born...

Something my dear hubby said to me triggered me to write this.

We were having dinner at a fast food restaurant - which was packed - peak hours. Since there were not enough drinks to go around, and the queue was simply too long, dear hubby suggested that I go an buy a drink at one of the small kiosk. The kiosk is quite a distance away, and since there is also a mamak restaurant near by, I told him that I am buying teh tarik and asked whether he wanted one. He said no.

Then off I went to buy the ice lemon tea - dropped them for the kids - and went again for the teh tarik. Ordered one myself (to go). Once I reached dining table - hubby took a look at my teh tarik and commented 'Satu jek?' 'Mana I punyer?' 'Aik, kan tai I tanye, you kata tak mau'. 'I tak mau sekarang, untuk bekal balik nak la'......ishhh....

Then he went on, 'very typical of anak sulong - so jangan nak marah Haziq'. 'If it was me, I will definitely buy extra for you'....hu..hu...hu...

My instant reaction was defensive (as usual) - but then I resigned myself to it - well, what he said is true - to some extend - I mean, as first born, there are some traits - that commanding nature, that (ashamedly) self serving nature. I took his word for it...never to reflect that he actually wanted it - that I might  want to show him that I care enough to buy him anyway.....hmmm....
I am not actually a first born to my dad - but I am to my mom (if you know what I mean). And I do display the independence and strong characters - typically linked to first born. Selfish? Yeah, probably when I was growing up. I wanted the best of (almost) everything)


But being a first born as well meant that we are bound to be more responsible.


Case in point, though I was very interested in language - and thought of doing translation in university - but shoved it off, as I was not sure whether it is stable enough - as at that time my dad was already retired. So I pursued science - and the rest - is history. 

I have been extremely lucky - I got good results (that is not a coincidence, by the way!) - and as soon I completed my final year exam - was offered a job - with an engineer's salary! Dad was a laborer with the PWD - so it was a relief that I got a job - so soon - to help the family. I assisted my siblings in their studies - and forgo my lecturer's offer to further my studies - as I was sure that the pay could not match the one that I received. 


Isn't that sacrifice itself? How I envied friends who pursued MSc and PhD - because they do not need to think of how that decision affect others...

The stigma that first born are selfish might not be accurate - as I have read a lot of stories about first born sacrificing their studies and even lives - to ensure that their siblings led a better life......

No comments:

Post a Comment