Thursday, December 24, 2009

Romance

I just gotta include this entry. Remember I mentioned about my favorite romance story? Having forgotten the title and the main character, I know I have to scavenge my book collections for that particular book. I can't stop smiling, once its on my hand - but a little sad, looking at its sorry state. Lucky it is hardcover, but somehow one of my kids must have gotten their hand on the books - as their artistic prowess is glaringly exhibited on the book's cover.


Back to the book - I'm not so sure whether am I surprised that the book was actually a Mills & Boon. But this is a 1950 M&B. Jane Tempest's A Match is Made. The story chronicles the trials and tribulations of Romola Chivelston. She's an 18 yrs plain looking girl, with a stunning older sister and a devoted older (married) brother. The family lives in the country with Roskimmon brothers - Dion and Garnet.


Proof that this it a 1950 publication....excerpt from the firs paragraph: "Once upon a time, there lived a king who had 2 sons. The elder was grim and mean and ugly and and no one loved him. The younger was gay and charming and handsome and won all hearts." This is the illustration that was used by Ramona to describe the brothers. Notice how 'gay' is used to denote happy and cheerful outlook.


Anyway, the story is that this girlish Ramona is infatuated with the 'gay' Garnet. Her family is in dire need of extra cash to keep their farm running. Guess who has money ? Dion, of course - the grim elder brother of the Roskimmon. He is the businessman, the one with intelligence and...compassion. But his confidence is nowhere to be found, courtesy of the lack of good looks. Over time Ramona discovered that the Garnet is not what she imagined after all, and that Dion is the caring one. To cut the story short, Ramona and Dion is destined to be together. The most romantic 'scene' is the one when Dion confesses his love to Romona....telling her that he fell in love with her, 15 years ago - when she was just 3 yrs old. At that time, Dion was 15 and was bullied by his much younger brother and friends. It was 3 yrs old Ramona who helped him to his feet....and he has been in love with her ever since.....hhmmmm....isn't that the most romantic thing ???


I am a sucker for romance - M&B type of romance....hhhmmm....

No comments:

Post a Comment