Monday, December 14, 2009

Teambuilding

Yes, it's again that time of the year again...when teams realized that they have not used up their yearly allocations for team building - and are scrambling to have one. So there goes our team - and since it is a small one, we invited a few other teams as well. And as usual, the lack of lady engineer is very noticeable in the mechanical engineering community. Anyway, there were around 28 of us gathered in Golden Sands on an early Thursday morning - ready for the Adventure.


Little did we realize it was really going to be quite an adventure. The first was the obstacle run. We have to scale up and down, jump, hang on ropes, etc. It was loads of fun. And with members that are younger and more energetic, we definitely beat the other all-guys team (the 4 ladies are all from our team). Next was the dare devil slide. We were shocked when we saw the 24 feet, 90 degrees vertical slide! Seeing the slide from far is already enough to make some decide to stay away. Goosebumps! Definitely not for the faint-hearted and those who has height phobia.


Okay...what should I do ? Do I just cheer for my team...or just do it! Before I realized it...I was already on the steps...seems like a long journey there. Once you are up there...your heart beats so loud - you wonder whether the guy next to you can hear it. Uh..uh..uh...it's my turn now....


As I sat the ledge of the slides....Oh my God ! Ya Allah...what was I thinking ??? It was soooo....scary. Looking down, you can't see the slide (I did mention that it is a vertical slide) - you can only see the end there where it starts to flat out. The guys are already cheering. What the heck....The instructor was telling me to move slightly outwards... but I was wearing jeans that day, and it felt very slippery. 'Just push me!'. He did - as I closed my eyes. It was such a shock. The sudden drop...it felt like you are falling from a tall building...with no control of yourself...but luckily it was over in matters of seconds. The first thing one of the guys asked was - 'so, perut you still kat atas lagi ker ? ' Yeah....he's right!


I was proud of myself. I mean I just took the challenge. Conquered my fear - for the experience. I am also proud that I am one of the 8 who finally completed the task. A few actually sat on the ledge, looked down and then turned the other way.

The other activities were not as excited as those 2 mentioned earlier. We had lunch in Bayview and then the facilitator led training. It was interactive, precise and short. I liked it. And like any other training, I took charge and ended up being the speaker for the first task....hhmmmm....


Did I mentioned that I actually went for a belly dancing workshop - a day before the teambuilding. I went there to support the committee and also out of curiosity. It was worth it. I mean yeah, it was hard, and my body actually ached all over...but it was also fun! I did not know that belly dancing can make you sweat like a ***. Try to shake you booty and make that serpent movement and you'll know what I mean. I love the instructor - superb - well at least I know she deserved her first runner up for the Asian Belly Dancing competition!


Because of the sudden movement of my ever-relexed muscles and joint during belly dancing, and add teambuilding activities to it...I was in pain...shoulder, back, thigh...you name it. I grabbed my phone and made an appoinment for a couple's massage. Something that I had been delaying for sooo...long. So Sunday it was - and I did not regret it. It was rejuvanating...Need to do this more....

No comments:

Post a Comment